Saturday, August 9, 2008

A touch of homesickness

Besides me actual illness (I've slept about 20 hours combined the last 2 nights), I'm feeling a bit homesick now. Honestly, I’m about at that point in my travels where coming home seems great! It’s a really nice feeling to crave going home, but good to still have a bit of time left to enjoy Africa and learn from my experiences here. In honor of my slight bout of homesickness, here’s a list of what I miss most from home. Of course, family, friends, and pets are obviously also part of the list:

Ranch dressing
Fountain soda with free refills
Ice
Consistently safe-to-drink tap water
Free internet
Using outlets without converters
Driving on the right side of the road
Cable news
Using my cell phone without having to figure out sim cards and international phone numbers
Skinless, boneless grilled chicken breasts
Enjoying staying awake past 10:00 pm and sleeping in past 7:00 am
Ketchup – not this knock-off "tomato sauce" that has an awkward cinnamon taste
The letter Z being pronounced ‘zee’ and not ‘zed’
Faith Lutheran
Listening to the radio
Being able to wash and dry my clothes in a washer and dryer
Box springs
Baseball
Not having to negotiate prices on goods
Driving my own car (an automatic transmission since I'm so sick of manual)
Variations in weather
Did I mention news and the internet? I don’t know how I’d survive if my mom didn’t send me the daily news files from home.

I’m sure I’ll make a list of all the African things I’ll miss when it’s closer to the end of my time here, but these creature comforts from home have me craving Aug. 20!

Cheers,
Zac

No comments: