Monday, July 14, 2008

On the road again...

On the road again
I will never complain about potholes in Fargo ever again. Seriously.
Zambia has some serious infrastructure problems. Actually, can I country have infrastructure problems when an infrastructure doesn’t really exist?

In Livingstone, I’ve only discovered only about 5 paved roads. To be fair, these paved roads are acceptable. They are littered with speed humps and rumble strips, nonetheless. The rest of the roads are dirt, or rather sand. These roads are not at all level, vary in width, and are washed out in the rainy season. Four times I day, I drive at least twenty minutes on these roads.
Each morning, we are picked up in what they call a mini-bus (it’s what I call a 15-passenger van). The bus must have been bought at a discount because I swear it does not have shock absorbers. The ride on the dirt roads is like driving through a pothole field. “Bumpy” does not describe the experience justly. We literally are bouncing up and down and side to side throughout the bus. Our drivers are extraordinary and a blessing, but there is nothing they can do on these roads to make it any better.

Back home, I easily get car sick, especially if I have to travel in the back seat for a long stretch. Remarkably though, I have not been sick at all. It’s amazing how driving through the scenic African bush or the poor townships communities of Livingstone can cure car sickness quickly.
Another powerful anecdote for these brutal rides is the smiling children we encounter. Sometimes, our trips are made in mammoth overland safari vehicles that have open sides and no windows. To say the least, these vehicles full of muzungus stand out a bit on the sandy roads. The children absolutely flock to the cars with arms waving and smiles as wide as you can imagine. The love a simple waive back and cherish a quick photograph. If you want a quick boost to your soul, I suggest driving through Dambwa or Maramba in a muzungu bus.
On a final note, it’s amazing that one cannot escape the global economy, even in rural Livingstone, Zambia. Here, several Chinese firms have been contracted for building and repairing roads. They have imported massive machinery and workers to complete these tasks. It still strikes me as a bit anachronistic to see a Chinese worker laboring under the hot Zambian sun.

By the way, they drive on the left side of the road here in Zambia. I would advise you all to give me a friendly reminder to go back to the right side of the street once I’m back in the US.

For now,
Zac

No comments: