Monday, July 21, 2008

Project update

I officially left Mwandi school at the end of last week. As I mentioned earlier, the school is a success story and I simply wasn’t needed there. That is very much a good thing.

This week, I’ve started at Malota school. This school is African Impact’s newest partnership. It’s also the smallest and poorest school we work in here in Livingstone. Unfortunately, after just one morning there, I know it’s still not a good fit for me.

This school only has 2 classrooms. In the morning, grades 1 and 3 come for classes. There is already a volunteer in the grade 3 room, so I was put into grade 1. Regrettably, English is not taught until grade 2 at this school. As such, I’m virtually useless to the classroom. Today, all I was able to do was review the English words for certain body parts and sing Bible songs with the kids. To be fair, I LOVED singing the songs like “Jesus Loves Me” and “Whose the King of the Jungle?” The kids already knew “Jesus Loves Me” and sung along with enthusiasm.

As of now, I’m thinking about suspending my work in the teaching project for a bit. African Impact is doing some building projects at certain schools, and I feel I could be more useful there.

This afternoon, I’m headed to play football (soccer to those of us in the US) with the kids from Mwandi, and I’m sure that will be fun. The afternoon projects and Leah’s medical placement still continue to be great. I’m excited to give building a try tomorrow.

I’ll keep you posted…

Zac

PS - Before I left Mwandi, I noticed a gift box from Operation Christmas Child in their main office. It's really neat to see that the project that is such a big success at Faith actually does benefit communities like this.

No comments: